|COMUNIDADES OF GOA - A COMMUNIQUE - COMMENTS|
New Age*Society’s ®
Protecting & Defending the Rights, Interests & Identity of Gaunkars and Comunidades of Goa
10th August 2007.
(307 Dwapara Yuga)
Mr. D. G. Narvekar
Minister for Information Technology &
M.L.A. Aldona Constituency
Government of Goa
New Legislative Assembly Complex
Gaunkary of Serula
Penha de France
Bardez, Goa. 403521.
SUB: APPEAL FOR PREVENTION OF ATROCITIES AGAINST THE GAUNKARS AND COMUNIDADE OF SERULA.
Ref: 1. Press Report: “Govt. drops SEZ status to Rajiv Gandhi IT Habitat” appearing in the Gomantak Times, page A3, dated 25th July 2007.
2. Our Earlier Representation dated 7th July 2007.
From the Press Report referred above it appears that you have been misguided by the Managing Committee of the Comunidade of Serula and by the politically controlled Administrator of the Comunidades of North Zone. Hence we wish to give you the correct position and opinion of the Gaunkars of Serula, vis-à-vis the so called “IT Park” which your Ministry is so eager to set up at Socorro, within the Private Comunidade Village of Serula.
1. You have to clearly understand that the locality of Socorro, where your Ministry of the State Government intends to set-up an “IT Park” falls in an absolute private Comunidade Village of Serula and is not constituted by any Government of any State Land Tenure holders and hence is not a “Revenue Village” of the State Government for the State Government or your Ministry to pursue so aggressively, such a project as “IT Park”, designed for implementation in Revenue Villages only.
2. The State and State Government is under contractual obligation with the Comunidade of Serula to protect it from all prejudice. The State made laws and the laws of the Gaunkars do not provide any scope to permit grant of land for setting up such an “IT Park” as your Ministry is pursuing, over any land in the Village of Serula, except by abusive use of authority and fraud.
3. Neither the Managing Committee of the Comunidade nor the general body of Gaunkars, who are the co-owners of the land of their Comunidade village, are competent to grant any right over the lands falling in the respective Comunidade when it is prohibited by law.
4. For several years the meetings of the Comunidade of Serula are illegally convened and thus Managing Committees are illegally constituted due to a care-a-damn attitude of the Government which only pretends to be the guardian of the Gaunkars. The decisions of such illegally convened meetings do not bind the Gaunkars of the Comunidade of Serula and the Government cannot claim ignorance of the Law of Comunidades when it comes to take benefit of the Comunidade land and its resources to itself under such circumstances.
5. Even though the Gaunkars have challenged the Administrators for permitting persons other than Gaunkars to constitute the Managing Committee and/or to participate at the meetings of the Comunidade, no cognizance is taken due to political interference and use of muscle power by politicians. It is for these reasons that certain vested interests have infiltrated the Comunidade and are hell bent upon plundering the land and economic resources of the Comunidade of Serula. Now your Ministry has also joined hands with such elements to take illegal benefit to itself.
6. The legitimate Gaunkars of the Comunidade of Serula are currently operating in a state of exile as they are not protected by the State, although being under such obligation to do so, while the State Government has permitted infiltration of goondas and anti-social elements, bogus constituents and other vested elements in the Comunidade with the connivance and blessings of selfish politicians.
Therefore please take note:
1. That the present manner of convening of General Body Meetings of the Comunidade of Serula by an illegally constituted Managing Committee, are illegal and being so, the Gaunkars have not participated in the same. Such acts and deeds carried out by such illegally constituted Managing Committee, not being in accordance with the law do not bind the Gaunkars of the Comunidade of Serula.
2. That the State Government has abdicated the powers of the Governor and has presently designated itself as the “approving authority” over such Resolutions permitting grant of land for IT Park at Socorro, when the State, as a Guardian, is not expected to take benefit to itself of such Resolutions in the absence of the legitimate owners of the Comunidade Village, viz. the Gaunkars of Serula, and when such Resolution is null and void and not binding on the Comunidade.
The above said may be summed up as follows:
“There is no provision in the Law of the Gaunkars to grant Comunidade land either belonging to Serula Comunidade or any other Comunidade in Goa, to the Government, for the purpose of “IT Park” or any such natured purposes.”
We are to once again remind you what Article 7 of the “United Nations Draft Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples” has to say on issues such as the Comunidades:
“Indigenous peoples (read as Gaunkars or the natives of Goa) have the collective and individual right not to be subjected to ethnocide and cultural genocide, including prevention of and redress for:
(a) Any action which has the aim or effect of depriving them of their integrity as distinct peoples, or of their cultural values or ethnic identities;
(b) Any action which has the aim or effect of dispossessing them of their lands, territories or resources;
(c) Any form of population transfer which has the aim or effect of violating or undermining any of their rights;
(d) Any form of assimilation or integration by other cultures or ways of life imposed on them by legislative, administrative or other measures;
(e) Any form of propaganda directed against them.”
We hope you and your Ministry/Government will not add to the “Sins of the State” by pursuing an illegal action and setting a wrong precedence by setting up an “IT Park” at Socorro, in the Private Comunidade Village of Serula.
If your Ministry proceeds with the matter we shall be forced to consider your action with contempt due to your indulgence to take benefit of an illegal Resolution such as that of grant of land belonging to the Comunidade of Serula to your Ministry/Government to set up an IT Park in Socorro.
Savio H. D'Souza
GAUNKAR – COMUNIDADE OF SERULA
Copies to: 1. The Hon. Chief Minister of Goa, Mr. Digambar Kamat.
Government of Goa, New Legislative Assembly Complex,
Gaunkary of Serula, Penha de France, Bardez, Goa. 403501.
2. All Ministers/MLAs in the Goa State Assembly.
Reg. Address: 1140, Maina, Socorro, Gaunkary of Serula, Post Porvorim, Bardez, Goa (North). 403 501
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.geocities.com/newagegoa
Registered under Societies Registration Act, 1860
Gaunkars of Goa’s Comunidades must remember that GOA SU-RAJ PARTY has, in its MANIFESTO [Road Map for Goa] declared that when brought to power to rule the State, it will (1) Scrap the Land Tenancy Act brought in by the Government of Bandodkar, whereby Comunidades of Goa have lost their land to tenants and there Goa’s agriculture has suffered a worst set-back. (2) Will give Comunidades of Goa the AUTONOMY [total independence] to govern through the Code of Comunidades without any interference from the Government with the GOVERNOR of GOA functioning as the Titular Head of Comunidades of Goa.
|Goa Su-Raj Party has been in existence since 31/08/2000.
|DEAR GOANS WORLDWIDE,
ONLY YOUR EXTENDED HANDS CAN STOP THE SLIDE OF OUR BEAUTIFUL GOA INTO THE OBSCURE..
DONATE TO GOA SU-RAJ PARTY [GSRP]
FUND A NEW FUTURE FOR GOA
BE THE REVOLUTION
CHQ'S TO: GOA SU-RAJ PARTY
ADDRESS:383A PIRAZONA MOIRA BARDEZ GOA-403507.
BANK: INDIAN OVERSEAS BANK - MAPUSA.
A/C NO: 056301000050171
IFSC CODE: IOBA0000563
SWIFT CODE: IOBAINBB139 [Panjim Branch]